Friday, April 29, 2011

Training camp at Lanzarote

Not experienced – but still much more experienced than a month ago!

Since I am such a newbie, in this sport, I actually on a weekly basic take quantum leaps! Every ride outside gets me more confident with the bike, the shifters, biking with others and suddendly there is also room for actually enjoing the landscape. It is a true pleasure getting out on the country , riding through small villages, see large green fields instead of noise cars and concrete jungles! People were talking all winter during training about hitting the roads – now I know why. Its truely amazing rolling out in the sunshine in the early mornings!

Fitnessdk TRI training camp at Club La santa Sport

My training camp at Club Lasanta Sport / Lanzarote was great. A group of 30 people from Fitnessdk TRI went together to push some limits – train hard with a main focus on bike and swim. I was very excited since it was my first trip to the island and also my first experience with REAL mountains AND heavy wind. And we met both. Hard!

The stunning volcano landscape and sunny weather was fantastic company on the approximately +500 km we drove during the 6 days of biking. Learning to climb those mountains without burning out, cycling fast down the mountains without thinking too much of if ... I realised I would come off better, if I did’nt fear the downhill too much. In the beginning my hole body became stiff going downhill – and it sort of messed it all up. Over the days I became more relaxed, but certainly aware! Putting yourself in aeroposition on the bike and just drive out in the warm sun is addictive!

First open water swim!

Our focus on swimming was more specific on open water swimming. Again a new thing. And as all new things in my life, I want to start of good and well prepared – otherwise I loose my confidence. Unfortunately. That happend.

My first swim in the lagune at Lasanta was around 700m. I did it. Because I was told to do it. But I was not prepared. So getting back at the beach I realised what I just did – and suddenly I became very scared of it. Like reacting afterwards. Imagine. The water was more green than blue. I could NOT see my hands infront of me. Swim against the tide in the water, and not being able to navigate … It was so very salty that it almost made me throw up (but learning me to keep that mouth closed)!

I knew it would be one of the big challenges to do the open water swim … but not in this way with fear! After so many hours in the pool, I knew I could trust my swim skills … But oh no I freaked out! Broke into tears! What happend! So very dissapointed of not having a good beginning, I decided to use my best veapon. Stubbornness.

The day after I put the water checkmate, with help from the kindest people from the team. Could’nt have done it without you! Throwing myself out there again – eventhough the tears filled up my goggles J That damn water should’nt steal my dream!

During the week I had great swims – some milestones passed! Feeling ok with the water – just need to work on not doing the zig zag swimming ;-)

I also got through my first mini-triathlon (... making the real thing very real!)

Swim(400m): 00:07:35 / Bike(18k): 00:34 / Run(4,6k): 00:22:12

All the days in Spain were fantastic! I would do it all again if I was told to :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment