Friday, November 26, 2010

Update from Copehagen, Siberia


First of all, I am so happy today.
This thing called triathlon really is contagious! I got infected some months ago and now two of my best girlfriends are seriously considering joining me for the HIM in May. Actually got confirmation from one of them some hours ago and cannot describe how good that felt. This is so awesome. I will truly love to share this with them. I am so motivated right now. It gives me loads of energy.
Just need to hook them up with some bikes. Minor detail. We’ll fix it!
Now, my training.
Swimming: Still in the very first learning phase, definitely. Have had a little bit of trouble with my shoulder - old injury from a long lost career as a handball player. In fact the swimming has made it a lot better, but the bike kills it sometimes, and then the swimming hurts like knives into the muscles. Getting a lot better though and almost back on 100% now.
Swimming 1-1,5 hours 2-3 times a week, focusing on technique. Starting swimming classes again after Christmas.
Bike: Getting my new, beautiful bike in a week – cannot wait! I am sure it will be love at first sight, and that I, at the same time, will become a legit member of the infamous Argon 18 mafia is only a nice and honorable bonus.
That said, I must admit that I have been slagging way too much on the bike lately. Been out for a couple of rides in the weekends, but since I no longer have anyone to ride with – everyone has put their bikes away for the winter - and since it gets dark before I get off from work, I find it rather hard to find the time and motivation. Started spinning three times a week, though. Better than nothing, but is in a bit of a loss about what to do if the snow keeps on falling all winter. I am handing over my “winter bike” this weekend, and my new bike is not going out there before the Siberian winter has left the country for good. Considering a home-trainer… and a single-speed. Just for the fun of it.
Running: The part where I really feel a lot of progress at the moment.
Next running goal: 12 km. at 4.30 without almost puking in the end. It should be reachable within a short amount of time. As of now I can run 10 km. at 4.30 without big troubles, but still have a tendency to run a bit slower. Like I ”forget” to move my legs faster. Still running without a running watch, so getting my new Forerunner 410 after Christmas will help me a lot.
For now my plan looks like this (what I have been doing the past week as well):
Three times a week, outside. Warm up. Then 10-12 km at a constant pace at about 4.45(approx – again no watch, so..) With intervals of 3 x 800 meters at close to max. 2 x 10 times up/down some stairs at max and in the end 500 meters at max.
Three times a week in the gym. Experimenting a bit on what suits me the best and what is more efficient. Pushing it quite hard for a limited time seems to work better for me than going “long”. The treadmill bores me.
All in all: Slowly beginning to get my training schematized in a good way, I think. Including the weight training. Trying to prevent injuries. Slowly starting to get used to training inside in the gym instead of outside. Still spending way too much time there compared to my effective training time. But improving.
Soon the weekend is here and kicking it off with swimming for an hour. Afterwards going to the gym at SAS Radisson with my friend Ida to get our conscience clean for our Friday Night Work-Out Cocktail Hour in the hotel lounge followed by a great Aprés Ski party right in the center of snowy Copenhagen.
Life’s good! Have a jolly weekend everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment