Sunday, January 16, 2011

What a Perfect Sunday

...best one this year.

Let me just set the scene for you:
Denmark in the middle of January. It’s grey. 5 degrees, quite windy, and raining cats and dogs (not really, but I just love the expression). On top of that there is still some ice on the roads and ohh, talking about those roads – they are filled with holes and cracks from the frosty, snowy weather.
Sounds great, right?!! Not really. Actually rather depressing, but then add some action in the presence of this years first outside bike-ride. And then…Wooop, there you got it. Best day this year!
Yep, today was the day the spinning class was finally exchanged with the Great Outside for the first time since I was riding with the guys in Barcelona over a month ago. What a relief not inhaling 30 other people’s sweat – literally. No one yelling “ONE MORE MILLIMETER”! No crappy music. Just me, the road, the nature, my bike, and nothing else. The route was straight, flat and windy. Exactly the way I don't like it. Usually. Today. Different. All of a sudden I had absolutely nothing to complain about. Just the feeling of the wind in my face and the experience of converting my muscle power into motion made my day. Maybe it is because of the huge contrast to the fitness-center or maybe simply because I just love riding my beloved bike. Which, by the way, put its wheels on danish ground for the very first time ever. I smiled a lot.
All this being said, I am definitely still not a fan of the Danish weather. Don’t get me wrong on that one. My dream of living under distant warmer skies is still alive and kicking – and I have a feeling that this year…. Dreams will come true. I'll make 'em.
Until then - Enjoying every chance I have to get as many kilometers behind me as possible - on days like today. Trying to appreciate them - days like today. Looking forward to many more of the alike - days like today. Remembering what it is that drives me, also when everything gets a bit though and the training feels like a duty rather than a pleasure - Remembering days like today.
Ohh yeah...and see you at the spinning class tomorrow. Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Uii, Majeline - great to hear about the virgin-tour on danish roads! I still hav'nt got my bike outside. Still standing in the bedroom just begging for the first tour.
    Compared to you I actually do like indoor bike classes :-) I have never biked on a racer bike and somehow I have a little fear of the first time. Look - I am that much of a newbie that I cannot even bike without holding BOTH hands at the handlebars :-)
    Somehow I am also waiting for the warm sun before I will hit the roads :-) Heading for the CC dream is already filled with a lot of pictures in my mind - and at the biking outside pictures - I see the sun :-)
    But keep your updates on nice trainingdays coming - I love seeing different aspects on how we all have our best trainingdays.

    Love, Louise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't get me wrong. I like the indoor bike classes(sometimes) - it reminds me a bit of back in the day when I spend most of my awake hours in the sports hall and the social aspect of it is compelling.
    BUT - riding outside on the roads beats it by faaaaaar and I promise you...you will think the same when you try it :)
    And don't fear it at all. It's fun and you'll do great. Look forward to it!!!

    ReplyDelete