Monday, December 20, 2010

One journey, one destination - but no return ticket !

I often get the question "Are you sure that all that training and racing is healthy?"... and that only in the best of cases. People can tend to be extremely offensive when "provoked" by the fact that I prefer leaving the party early to get in an 5 hour morning bike-ride, over their exclusive (and drunk) company. Training for my first marathon in 2007, friends and family was outraged by the "huge" amounts of kilometers we ran and was worried if I would even survive. A doctor told me its not healthy to do more than 2 marathons a year.

Now I see things different. These years I have obtained so much experience and knowledge - learned by reading, seeing, feeling, hurting, discussing or even arguing. What really got me convinced, was meeting Ame Bonfati at the dinner of Ironman Lanzarote. Apart from being a good Italian, one big smile, an energy pack, Ame is a 46 years old man who does 5-6 Ironman a year. IMLZ was his 60th (yes sixtieth) Ironman. People tell me I look young for my age, but look at Ame - I´d easily say he looks my age or even younger! Amazing!!! They say that people looking younger than they are, tend to live MUCH longer than people looking older than then actually are. This stuff is healthy and when people complain about the price-tag on my bikes or the 15 pairs of running shoes I have in my locker I silently think "where could I possibly invest better?". We only live once and death is certain, but keeping healthy and fit will improve the chances that we can live a strong and happy life for many more years. An investment we will thank our selves for in many years, and our children and grand-children will thank us too.

The things you will learn on this journey towards your first Ironman will never be lost. The hours you do now on the bike is an investment in your life. Hopefully you will be motivated to do many more Ironman races or find other things that motivates you - but learning how your body reacts to this extreme stress, both in training and racing, are some of the most valuable learnings you have had since learning to walk or make love (I know - some of us still really don´t get the hang of that latter part).

Gain as much knowledge from magazines, books, talking to coaches, friends, training partners and adapt to your own plan and goals. Many arguments on nutrition, training and racing are contradictory. Some say carbs... others say proteins. Listen and learn from how YOUR body feeds back. Learn, learn and keep an open mind to new things and advice.

Also - if you have not already done so. Get a complete health check in a professional test center to check that your body is (likely) ready to take on the loads of training and racing that awaits us in 2011.

Quoting Jack Lalanne:
“I just want to see how long I can keep this thing going.
The easiest thing is dying. Living is a a pain in the butt”

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I agree that keeping in shape is a very important thing.... although I must disagree that training towards and competing in an Iron Man is as important as walking or making love - it’s a little bit over the top.

    I tend to think that my family, my children and even good friends are far more important than reaching out to become an Iron Man.

    We are a few lucky one who have the means to do this type of investment. We all know how much we spend on equipment - and I can understand the less fortunate disbelieve realizing the huge investment it takes.
    Not only are we investing money but more importantly – family, coworkers and friends are all being made part of our goals – if they like it or not.
    I like for you all to think about the investments you are fortunate enough to make and send a thought to all the less fortunate people among us who never have or will get a chance to do what we do.
    And remember – IM is a competition against you self and only you self. The real IM champions are the one we never even knew did one.

    ReplyDelete