Thursday, December 9, 2010

Targets

Yesterday I spoke to a personal trainer at my gym (not mine - can´t afford them :-)). He asked me how long time it would take me to complete an Iron Man....
Not knowing the exact answer I started to add up my dream numbers and came up with a rough idea of my total time. He though it was very ambitious.. well he saw me swimming and I had to convince him that swimming is my least favorite discipline – by far.
Him being a Chinese and former pro swimmer may explain his concerns about me getting sub 12...

Would it be a good idea to post our target time (Swim, Bike & Run)?
I did see and old post from Big T talking about targets.

"Make it to the line" is my overall goal but I sense that someone might have set quite though goals on them self and I would like to know them :-)

My dream goals are:
Swim: sub 2 hrs. - not drown
Bike: 6 hrs. - 30 km/h
Run: Sub 4 hrs. - pace 5.45/km

Total sub 12 hrs.

I guess we could post them together with our entered event information on the right hand side of the blog. As we progress with our training we can comment on our goals hence understanding if we where realistic or not setting those goals. I don´t think us novices really understand how our body will react on race day. Maybe the first indications we get are on the long bike days coming up in our training schedules around springtime.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Peter

    good point - I´d love to hear what you other guy´s are thinking and hoping. Just post it here as a comment.

    I like the word TARGETS, where most of you have the OBJECTIVE of "Making it to the line", it may be smart to already now thinking a bit about what that may add up to for each split!

    Believe are very realistic, except swimming. I definitely see you swim sub 1h:20m ... don´t worry ... one day during spring your gonna post 1000m times below 20 minutes in the pool.

    Keep it up !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo!

    Sure I want to "make it to the line", but I most definitely do have targets. That is actually one of the reasons why I am doing the Maresme and not CPH or Regensburg as first planned.

    But - what my exact targets are?! Well, I'm not really sure yet. To be honest I still have a really vague feeling about what is realistic and bla bla bla.

    Would like to make it in about 11.30, though. Seems okay realistic and getting sub 12 is definitely a goal. So that's where I "stand" as of now.

    Swimming: 1.15 - with a lot of technique training the next months and open-water swimming during the summer, I believe that is realistic - this can be modified, though.

    Bike: The part where I am most uncertain. As of now my goal is 5.40. That will be 31,8 km/h. The route is quite flat. Windy. But still. Think I can do that.

    Running: Sub 4.10

    Then I have 25 min for transition. Enough?!!

    (I have absolutely no clue what so ever if this is what I should aim at - hahaha... that just hit me. Shit, I'm a newb)

    Ps. Are you a consultant, Thomsen? Just wondering...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My slowest time in the water was 1h09m and I was (or am) NO swimmer, actually swam pretty bad. So 1h15m is very realistic. Bike pace seems reasonable - its a long way to keep 32 km/h especially on a windy day, but Calella is FLAT. Run - sub4 is ok for a strong runner like you.

    Remember - push too hard on the bike and you pay a dear price at the last 21k on the run!

    Or as the say here in Spain.
    The 3 C´s of Triathlon:
    Nadar con Calma
    Bici con Cabeza
    Correr con Cojones ...

    ReplyDelete